Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Part 2

It started raining on my way to work this morning and I get completely and utterly drenched. I had water in my shoes and my Ipod headphones stopped working. Anyway, I managed to get changed and put the kettle on before we had our first problems. After yesterdays service I was hoping for an easy day, but it wasn't to be. The Picc. was suspended from Rayners Lane to Uxbridge because of signal failure and the District was suspended from Parsons Green to Wimbledon, also because of signal failure. Thankfully, the suspensions didn't cause too many problems. At 10:25 I was about to commence my break when the phone rang, and the LIA (Line information asst) gave us the news that they were preparing to suspend the entire District line and we had to detrain any trains in the area so they could run empty to the depot's. The line had a complete loss of radio communication and for safety reasons they have to suspend the whole line as the District don't have the staff necessary to double-staff the train cabs. The idea of a meal-break was obviously out the window. I then head down to one of the platforms and assists the CSA's and to give information to train operators and also to customers. Eventually the all clear came through with extremely severe delays to the whole line. Another 30 minutes overtime claimed as no chance of a break again.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

funny days you've had, uh?

I presume the worst must have been that all of this occurs on extremely hot days like these.

With these temperatures is even harder to explain people what is happening, in a calm way :-/

Good luck with all... :)

Anonymous said...

That Picc suspension wasn't for a signal failure (that old one), but for a defective (normal) train radio on the Met!

Anonymous said...

Domin8 MySpace with myspace proxies. Check out www.domin8myspace.com