Friday, September 30, 2005

Tourists are lovely



My favourite kind of commuters are definitely tourists. The majority of the time, they are friendly, polite and generally nice folk, especially Japanese tourists.

Fortunately I can reasonably converse in Japanese, giving directions, selling tickets etc so I try to help them where I can. I was helping one old Japanese couple almost everyday last week, with directions, tourist attractions etc. On their very last day, they came to the station and brought a box of Japanese coffee sweets as a token of thanks. Really cheered me up. A few months ago, another Japanese family gave me a box of Pocky which realy are to die for. Luckily there is one shop in West Acton that sells them. Not likely to get that from a regular commuter though :)

3 comments:

3.1 said...

POCKY!!!!! You can get something exactly the same (only different name) at Tescos... Mikado! Yum!

:)

Barry Hensey said...

Superb!

I'm jealous but I guess your excellent customer service skills have been duly rewarded with Japanese foodstuffs.

Well done.

matt said...

Pocky is sold in Korea as Pepero. Last Friday was Pepero Day (because 11.11 looks like a bunch of them, I'm told). The students buy them and exchange them at school (like valentines day) and give them to their teachers. They make super large ones for that day (30cm long by 1cm or so in diameter) and even sell those in gift packs (a photo of them can be found in this article. My students gave me so many my desk is still cluttered with them....